LAE retains anywhere between eight to ten full-time attorneys throughout the state. The association has a staff of member advocates - LAE UniServ Directors - who specialize in education employee rights. Your membership in the association provides you with these great benefits.
Educators Employment Liability Program: Benefits
The following benefits are available to all NEA members, including Education Support Professionals.
Coverage A. Educators Liability Benefit
- Payment of the legal defense costs of up to $3,000,000 per occurrence in defending civil proceedings (other than proceedings concerning Civil Rights) brought against you in the course of performing your educational employment activities.
- Payment of up to $1,000,000* in damages assessed against you as a result of such civil proceedings.
- Payment of up to $300,000* worth of defense, settlement or judgments and other supplementary payments for proceedings concerning Civil Rights.** (Coverage A is subject to a $3,000,000 per member per occurrence damages limit not to include any civil rights issues or claims, and a $9,000,000 defense cost limit per member per occurrence regardless of the number of members involved in the occurrence, not to include any civil rights issues or claims.)
Coverage B. Reimbursement of Attorney Fees for the Defense of Criminal Proceedings**
- Reimbursement for attorney fees and other legal costs up to $35,000 if you are charged with violating a criminal statute in what otherwise would be within the course and scope of your educational employment activities, and you are exonerated of all charges by a court of law or all charges are withdrawn or dismissed. If, however, the proceeding arises out of an incident involving the administration of corporal punishment, the policy will provide reimbursement regardless of the outcome.
Coverage C. Bail Bond
- Reimbursement of up to $1,000 of bail bond premium, if you must post a bond as the result of an occurrence arising out of your educational employment activities. (The insurance company is not required to furnish the bond.)
Coverage D. Assault-Related Personal Property Benefit
- Payment of up to $500 for damages to your personal property when caused by an assault upon you in the course of your educational employment. (Vehicle and school property are excluded.)
* May have state variations; check with your state affiliate.
ATTORNEY REFERRAL PROGRAM
The NEA and LAE have identified attorneys throughout the state who have agreed to handle certain personal matters at a substantially reduced rate.
During any membership year, eligible members are entitled to one free thirty-minute consultation session with any of these Association-approved attorneys. During your free consultation session, you may discuss any legal matter as outlined below.
WILLS, TRUSTS, AND SUCCESSION
At a 30% discount rate, you can have a participating attorney prepare your will, assist with estate planning, provide legal assistance if you are named executor or administrator of an estate, or offer legal counsel in guardianship proceedings.
Participating attorneys will provide assistance with the purchase or sale of residential property, disputes with landlords, property line controversies, and problems with zoning laws or land use regulations.
Participating attorneys will provide assistance at the discounted free for disputes with creditors or finance agencies and also proceedings with retailers concerning defective merchandise.
You can also receive legal representation at the LAE Referral Program’s discounted rate in order to handle charges of operating while impaired, careless driving, or other offenses involving the potential loss of license, jail sentence or financial liability.
The matters listed with the Attorney Referral Program are just a few of the many areas covered under this program.