Announcement of Vacancy for Regional Lead Organizer
8322 Calais Avenue, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70809
Join the rising movement of educators across the South who—inspired by the 50th Anniversary of Freedom Summer and the 60th anniversary of the Brown vs. Board of Education decision—are recommitting themselves to the fight for economic and social justice and great public schools!
The Louisiana Association of Educators—the voice for educators across Louisiana—is seeking a lead organizer to play a key role on the LAE organizing team; a team recruiting member leaders, building majority locals, and mobilizing for change. The lead organizer will play a strong leadership role in mentoring and developing the statewide organizing team.
This 12-month, full-time position (with possibility for renewal) will be based in two locals with proud fighting traditions that are located in the Acadiana region of the state (in and around Lafayette and Vermilion).
The lead organizer will report to the UniSev Manager and work closely with the statewide NEA lead organizer.
• Develop the capacity of two locals across the Acadiana region of the state.
• Conduct effective one-on-one organizing conversations to identify issues; inspire new members; and identify and activate leaders.
• Train, coach, and mentor member organizers to have effective organizing conversations.
• Identify key issues within the locals and mobilize to address those issues.
• Connect local issues and local campaigns to statewide and national issue campaigns.
• Work with other organizing staff and member leaders to implement an organizing plan.
• Build relationships with community organizations and involve allies in local campaigns.
• Write effective agendas and, when appropriate, facilitate local, regional, and statewide meetings.
• Coach other organizing staff and member leaders in developing organizing committee agendas and leading committee meetings.
• Maintain systems/work effectively with technology to assess each local’s progress and track their leadership development and assessments.
• Advocate for quality professional development and connect members interested in professional development to our statewide professional development committee.
• Demonstrate, in meetings and in communications, an understanding of patterns, trends, and best practices in local, state, and national education policy.
• Guide members in their understanding of what issues to grieve and what issues to organize around.
• Use organizing techniques to prepare locals for legislative campaigns.
• Prior organizing experience with a membership organization (a union, association, or community group)
• Experience working with professional workforce
• Completion of Bachelor’s degree or higher
• Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and/or public education
• Excellent writing skills and computer literacy
• Proven leadership record
• Effective communicator
• Experience working independently and as part of a team
• Ability to work long and varied hours and to travel
• Must have a valid driver’s license and car
Term of Employment: July 2014 - June 30, 2015 (with possibility of renewal). Salary commensurate with experience. Benefit package included.
Qualified individuals should apply with a cover letter, detailed resume, and three references by June 30, 2014. Applicants are invited to submit writing samples and/or sample portfolio of their work and experiences. Applications should be emailed to the Regional Lead Organizer Search Committee at Krystal.Henry@lae.org.
The Louisiana Association of Educators is an equal opportunity employer. Ethnic minorities and women are encouraged to apply.